Group of students posing in a group outside on a college campus.

Help Us Get Your Name Right

True  Name Form

Sometimes a person's given name doesn't reflect who they are. We recognize that you may identify by a name that is different from your legal one.


Mission College respects students' names and recognizes that students may be unable to go through a legal name change during their time here. We are committed to using a student's True name during their time as a Mission College student.

Using Chosen Names

You can change your first name to reflect your True name. It will appear on documents, such as class rosters, and on your Canvas page. To do this complete the:

This form is also available on the Admissions Student Forms webpage.

True Name FAQs

True or Preferred Name Questions

Q: What is a True or Preferred Name? 

A: Your True or Preferred Name is the name an individual at Mission College (employee or student) wishes to be known by in the community.

A True/ Preferred name differs from an individuals legal first name and is not meant to be used to record a nickname (e.g. Becky for Rebecca.) Surnames can be changed only through a legal name change. 

Q: What is a Legal Name? 

A: Your Legal Name is the name that appears on an individual's passport, driver's license, state identification (i.d.), birth certificate, or U.S. Social Security Card. 

Q: Who can elect to use a Chosen Name? 

A: Anyone at Mission College, employees and students. 

Q: Can I request a new student ID card with my True/ Preferred name? 

A: Yes. Students updating their name to reflect their True/ Preferred first name may have a free one-time update of their student ID card to reflect their True name. 

Q: Can I change my middle name? 

A: Not yet. This service only applies to first names currently. 

Q: Can I delete my True/Preferred name? 

A: Yes, the same way you added your True/Preferred name you can ask to remove it. 

Q: How do I change my legal name? 

A: You will need to do that via the Court system in the State of California. Please visit the California Courts website on Changing an Adult’s Name  for more information.

Q: Where will my True/Preferred Name be used?

A: Your True name will display in multiple areas. This includes the following areas: 

  • ID Card* 
  • Class Rosters

Q: Are there any restrictions?

A: Choice of a preferred first name must be appropriate and cannot be an attempt at misrepresentation or fraud. Preferred names submitted that are considered offensive, obscene, lewd, or disruptive to the learning environment will not be approved.

Q. Are there situation where I cannot use my True/Preferred name?

A. The use of Legal Name is required for certain offices that perform areas which legally necessitate the use of a Legal Name. These include: 

  • Office of Visa and Immigration Services (OVIS)
  • Campus Billing 
  • Financial Aid
  • Official Academic Transcript
  • Athletics
  • Safety and Security
  • Human Resources/ Student Employment Office 

There may be some situations where it may be necessary to clarify that your preferred name is different from your legal name. Examples of this include official interactions with law enforcement, business processes, verification of medical records, academic transcripts, and financial aid. 

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) a student's name, including one's True Name, may be disclosed to the public as "directory information" unless the student opts not to permit such disclosure by completing a Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information.